If you have been staying in Japan with a RESIDENCE CARD, you are allowed to stay in Japan and engage in the activity based on the VISA STATUS until the date of expiry stated on your RESIDENCE CARD.
In case you want to continue to stay in Japan to engage in the same activity allowed under VISA STATUS, you can extend the period of stay by applying EXTENSION of PERIOD of STAY (VISA RENEWAL) before the expiry date of your current visa status.
If you fail to submit the application before your current visa status has been expired, your visa status will be invalid any more and your status will be considered as “illegally overstaying” in Japan.
WHEN and WHERE TO APPLY
When to Apply
You may apply for EXTENSION of PERIOD of STAY from 3 months before the expiry date of your current visa status. Once you submit the application, you can keep staying in Japan under your current visa status until the EXCEPTION PERIOD ends.
For details of EXCPETION PERIOD, jump to;
>> EXCEPTION PERIOD
The Immigration Office may accept your application earlier than that (earlier than 3 months before the expiry date of your visa status) if you have reasonable grounds.
Where to Apply
Your application have to be filed at the Immigration Office which have jurisdiction over your residence address.
BASIC REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Required documents are different depending on for what VISA STATUS you wish to extend.
Basically, you will need to provide documents to prove;
- you will keep engaging in the activity allowed under the VISA STATUS,
- you have paid taxes properly regularly and have no overdue taxes,
- you are financially stable enough to continue to make living in Japan.
In case of work-type visa status and you have changed your job circumstance (e.g. change of employer) during the period of stay before the renewal application, you will need to provide the documents to certify your current employment and visa sponsor – mostly it would be similar documents required for Change of Visa Status.
Jump to your VISA STATUS from LIST of VISA STATUS and check the required documents;
The Immigration Office charges 4,000 yen for the application fee (Immigration tax).
You will pay it when you pick up new Residence Card for VISA STATUS granted after approval of the application. In case you hire Immigration Lawyer, their fee and some actual expenses (for some certificates, postage, travel etc.) would be charged in addition to the application fee.
PROCESS of APPLICATION
Standard Processing Period
2 – 4 weeks after submission of the application.
Processing period may differ depending on the case, timing of application and congestion of application at the Immigration Office. The Immigration Office cannot tell you schedule of the screening and/or date of decision.
- Check the required documents for the application.
- Prepare and collect necessary documents; In case you hire an Immigration Lawyer, he/she will assist the whole process on behalf of you and your visa sponsor after confirming whether you satisfy the requirement. In case you obtain Permission to engage in other activity (Shikakugai-katudo Kyoka), you should prepare for it to submit along with the renewal application.
- You and visa sponsor sign the application form and submit documents to the Immigration Office which has jurisdiction over your residence address.
NOTE: You, applicant has to be in Japan at the time of submission of the application. You can leave and go back to Japan for travel etc. during the processing period of application.
Processing period at the Immigration Office: 2 – 4 weeks
Additional documents might be requested by the Immigration Office, processing period will get longer in that case.
- Notice of Approval (usually a postcard) will be sent to your residence address (or Immigration Lawyer in case you hire one).
- Go to pick up your new Residence Card to the Immigration Office by the date stated in the Notice of Approval (in case you hire a immigration lawyer, he/she will go to pick it up for you). You need to present the original of your current Residence Card and Passport at the Immigration Office counter. Also, you need to pay Immigration Tax by the revenue stamp – put the revenue stamp on the payment statement and hand it in at the counter.
- After you receive new Residence Card, your VISA STATUS is valid until the date of expiry stated on the renewed RESIDENCE CARD.
- You need to be in Japan at the time of submission of your application since you need to present the original of your passport and current Residence Card.
- You need to be in Japan when you pick up your new Residence Card after approval of the application. You need to present the original of passport and current Residence Card when you pick up your new card.
- You can travel outside Japan during the screening of the application. However, you will need to pick up your new Residence Card no later than 2 months after the expiry date of your current visa status.
- You must inform the Immigration Office about any change of the items in the application form and supplemental documents.
- Immigration Office cannot tell you when the screening of your application will be completed.
IN CASE OF DENIAL
If your application for EXTENSION of PERIOD of STAY is denied, the Notice of Denial will be sent to you or your visa sponsor (or Immigration Lawyer if you or your visa sponsor hired one for the case) instead of the Notice of Approval.
You should go to the Immigration Office with the Notice to ask the reason for the denial (Immigration Lawyer can be accompanied by you or the Immigration Office can tell directly to the Immigration Lawyer alone in some case).
The Immigration Office would advise you what the major issue is. If the reason is not critical and the issue can be resolved, you can try to reapply as soon as possible.
If the reason is critical and it cannot be solved, you should consider whether you can find other way or you will leave Japan.