“DEPENDENT” visa holders can engage in a part-time job with “Permission to Engage in Other Activity”

DEPENDENT visa status is a visa type to live in Japan as a dependent spouse/child of a supporter who engages in working in Japan under work-type visa status etc. Basically, Dependent visa holders are not allowed to work. Dependent visa holders are supposed to be supported financially by their parent/spouse who is working in Japan.

However, Dependent visa holders can apply for “Permission to Engage in Other Activity (資格外活動許可 / Shikakugai katsudo kyoka)” if they want to engage in a part-time job. Once they obtain this permission, they can work up to 28 hours per week. Just keep in mind that they have to “be supported” financially by their supporter holding work-type visa.

For further details, check our webpage below;